Disclaimer:all viewers please read!

Although all attempts will be made to publish correct information on this site, mistakes do occur; consequently the publisher/author of this site take no responsibility for any inconvenience, injury or loss- monetary or otherwise- resulting from the use of information from this site. as this site is for entertainment purposes only, the viewer assumes sole responsibility for the use of information. Outdoor activities such as landscape photography, hiking, climbing, etc., are inherently risky; anyone engaging in such activity is solely responsible for educating his/herself in the skills necessary for safe participation in these activities.

Friday, December 9, 2011

I visited Great Smoky Mountains National Park in October; the fall color was spectacular in several areas just as I had hoped. I was also hoping to get a few shots of some of the black bears that roam the park. In fact, my first evening I saw a mother and two cubs and another mature bear crossing the road just a few minutes from each other but the light was too poor to get any shots. A few days later, I pulled over on Cherokee Orchard  Road when I saw several people with cameras on the edge of the forest; a bear had just run up the hill into the woods right before I arrived. I cleverly decided to wait as the crowd dispersed and see if the bear would return; I amused myself by shooting a few constant zoom shots of some of the intense fall color. I was surprised to see the trunks of the trees in the above shot. After a bit, I slunk back to the jeep when I realized the bear wasn't coming. Luckily for me, I had only driven a short distance when I saw another crowd of people with cameras  chasing MY bear through the woods! I jumped out just in time to see the poor bear running for its life, just a patch of dark colored fur disappearing into a thicket. Counting several close opportunities with grizzlies out west, I'm 0 for 7 for getting a decent shot in the wild;  I may have to consider the zoo....

No comments: