Disclaimer:all viewers please read!

Although all attempts will be made to publish correct information on this site, mistakes do occur; consequently the publisher/author of this site take no responsibility for any inconvenience, injury or loss- monetary or otherwise- resulting from the use of information from this site. as this site is for entertainment purposes only, the viewer assumes sole responsibility for the use of information. Outdoor activities such as landscape photography, hiking, climbing, etc., are inherently risky; anyone engaging in such activity is solely responsible for educating his/herself in the skills necessary for safe participation in these activities.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Twin Falls bushwhack from Hill Cemetary

I made my first trip to Twin Falls of Richland Creek Wilderness this spring; I decided to make a solo overnight camping trip to give me a better chance at good light. The road that takes you to the trailhead at Hill Cemetary is located at Iceledo Gap close to Dickey's Junction, Arkansas. This is normally a 6-8  mile  roundtrip hike; since I had to backtrack to retrieve forgotten equipment,  I ended up doing a bit further than that. The trail takes you into some of the most beautiful terrain in Arkansas, but you have to work for it. The Park Service wants to keep the area primitive and pristine; so there is no trail for the last mile or so to the falls area. I would recommend a good map and at least a good compass, which is what I used, or a GPS unit. Be careful for bears, which are in the area; also, I wouldn't be really surprised to see the occasional mountain lion.  It is a bit of an adventure just to find the road to the cemetary, you have to traverse several miles of dirt/gravel roads just to get there; all of the area is beautiful, but very rural. I parked the car and headed down the road as quickly as I could. I used a couple of Tim Ernst's excellent guidebooks for general maps and directions to the falls. (next) image 1, image 2, image 3, image 4

No comments: